Monday, May 2, 2011

Search to Heal: Remembering a survivor of 26/11

As I type this, I am unable to maintain my composure.  
My face spasms for half a second every few seconds the way it does when you know you're about to dissolve into tears.  It is hard for me to control my tears remembering this young man.  
I saw him on one of Barkha Dutt's audience participation shows on NDTV right after 26/11.  His hard words and hollow aged appearance shook me up.  My eyes were wet instantly.  I couldn't stop sobbing as I thought of his ordeal and how he would be for the rest of his life.  
He and his mother were two of the survivors of the unconscionable madness of that day.  They escaped with their lives but not without irrevocable harm.  
Today, of all days, suddenly, out of nowhere, in response to a question posed by a friend, regarding celebrations over a terrorist's death, I find myself wondering whatever happened to that young man.  Where he is...how he is? Where is his mother...how is his mother? 
Thank you, my friend, tys, for provoking the memory, for listening to me remember the incident and for encouraging me to find out what happened to that young man.  This is the first step of my search to heal.  
I don't even remember his name...
_____
My chat with tys a few minutes ago:
bye...
tys said 14 seconds ago
find him buddy...
tys said 27 seconds ago
its the same day...one has come...the other will come...just 2 nations..having to face their own demons...atleast we have here a chance to observe...
tys said 1 minute ago
Especially today
Pundit Commentator said 14 seconds ago
on that day...it will help...both of u
tys said 17 seconds ago
u tend to become isolated...the world that u once knew and drew comfort from no longer exist..i think u shud find him
tys said 44 seconds ago
i understand.
Pundit Commentator said 51 seconds ago
i guess so...i have seen things that has made me doubt the humanity arnd me..i hve seen people doing things i have never imagined people could do...it
tys said 1 minute ago
you and i know that.
Pundit Commentator said 3 minutes ago
thats what tragedies do..makes u different.
tys said 3 minutes ago
i should....
Pundit Commentator said 3 minutes ago
maybe u shud find him...his life will be before the shootings and after.
tys said 4 minutes ago
normal happy young adult late 20s. changed forever.
Pundit Commentator said 4 minutes ago
i don't remember his name. i wonder how he is, where he is, how his mom is.
Pundit Commentator said 4 minutes ago
tragedy can tear u inside out...i know that..that was nice of u to write to him...at that time u tend to need support..
tys said 5 minutes ago
it's hard to stop my tears.
Pundit Commentator said 5 minutes ago
i feel very emotional remembering this incident right now.
Pundit Commentator said 5 minutes ago
i wrote him a message of commisseration. he was very kind to respond.
Pundit Commentator said 6 minutes ago
it literally changed his face. i am tearing up now typing this.
Pundit Commentator said 6 minutes ago
shit
tys said 7 minutes ago
the poor boy was shaken to his core.
Pundit Commentator said 7 minutes ago
looked him up on fb. (something i never do) and found a cheerful picture from before the attack. the same man now looked 50 years older.
Pundit Commentator said 7 minutes ago
i think i saw that too..
tys said 7 minutes ago
and?
tys said 7 minutes ago
he was at taj or oberoi wiht his mom, i think. young mid 20s. listening to him, i started sobbing.
Pundit Commentator said 7 minutes ago
good people got hurt for no fault of their own. it screws up your mind. i remember this one boy from mumbai talking at one of barkha dutt's shows.
Pundit Commentator said 8 minutes ago
have to go and hang up my halo...its giving me a headache..
tys said 8 minutes ago
same reaction. sense of closure.
Pundit Commentator said 9 minutes ago
i hope we treat it with dignity and rememberance . Its still life...and thats worth respect...otherwise there will not be any difference...no healing...no learning
tys said 9 minutes ago
i wonder how we will react to Kasab's execution.
tys said 12 minutes ago

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Powered by Blogger